We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service (WPS), subsidiaries of WEC Energy Group, are advancing plans for a new 325-MW solar and battery storage project. The Darien Solar Energy Center is the company’s second proposed large-scale solar and battery project announced this year.
If approved, the $446 million Darien Solar Energy Center would feature 250 MW of solar generation and 75 MW of battery storage. The project is planned to be built in Rock and Walworth counties, Wisconsin.
Last month, the companies announced plans for the 310-MW Paris Solar-Battery Park. If approved, the $426 million Paris project will be built in Kenosha County, Wisconsin.
“For the second time this year, we are demonstrating our commitment to a clean energy future with a major investment in renewable energy,” said Tom Metcalfe, president of We Energies and WPS. “Not only will these projects maintain reliability and deliver significant savings, building these facilities in Wisconsin will create green jobs and help drive the state’s economy.”
The companies filed the Darien solar and battery storage proposal this week with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. WEC Energy Group utilities We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service would own 90% of the project. Madison Gas and Electric would own the other 10%.
The project is being developed by Invenergy. If approved, construction is expected to begin in late 2021, and the project is scheduled to go into service by the end of 2023.
The Darien and Paris projects are part of WEC Energy Group’s plan to invest $2 billion in new solar, wind and battery storage projects for its utilities by 2025. These clean energy investments are a part of the company’s goal to reduce carbon emissions by 55% by 2025 and 70% by 2030.
News item from WEC Energy Group
For lighting, electrical, signage, and technology solutions that allow you to do more call Sverige Energy today at +4(670) 4122522.